Scarborough is an approximately 54 square mile community southwest of Portland and west of Cape Elizabeth. The town's beaches are a major summer and winter attraction as is its extensive salt marshes. The Town's population is approximately 20,000.
Scarborough was incorporated in the middle 1600’s. You can search for a lot more detailed information on Scarborough's web site (http://www.scarborough.me.us), where it is written that "The settlement of Scarborough was one of the earliest made on the New England coast. John Jocelyn, writer, botanist and English nobleman, came to Scarborough in 1663 to visit his brother Henry Jocelyn, who had settled on Prout’s Neck. His visit lasted eight years. His writings offer the best history of that time. He wrote that the province of Maine had plenty of magistrates, husbandmen and planters, but very few skilled craftsmen.
In the early 1600’s, John Stratton had his trading post upon the island off Scarborough’s shore, which still bears his name. This island also saw many of the other first settlers. In the 1630’s, the first settlement of Black Point was the 1500-acre Cammock’s land grant; by 1650 there were 50 homes. This grant is now known as Prout’s Neck.
The country between the Saco and the Spurwink rivers was originally called Black Point. Just when the narrow tongue of land now known as Pine Point was first called Blue Point and/or Pine Point is uncertain, but it is said that the spruce trees covering the eastern shore of the Nonesuch River appeared black to ships, and the hardwood on the western shores of the Nonesuch and Dunstan Rivers appeared blue. In 1636, Richard Foxwell built his homestead a little south of where Mill Creek (Foxwell’s Brook) saunters into Dunstan River. Henry Watts built nearby the same year. This began the second settlement. The third principal settlement of the old Scarborough was Dunstan in 1651. Andrew and Arthur Alger purchased more than one thousand acres from Uphannum, daughter of Wackwarreska, Sagamore of Owascoag County. Owascoag was the Indian name for Scarborough, meaning “place of much grass.”
The town incorporated in 1658 and was named for Scarborough, England. It included those lands formerly called Black Point, Blue Point, and Stratton’s Island and extended back eight miles from the sea. These boundaries have changed almost every century. By October, 1676 Scarborough, a town with three settlements of more than 100 houses and 1,000 head of cattle, had been destroyed -- some of its people killed and others taken captive by Native Americans. These settlers tried repeatedly to rebuild but peace was impossible. In 1690, the town was abandoned due to Native American uprisings, with inhabitants going to Portsmouth and other settlements further south.
The second settlement of Scarborough is regarded as dating to 1702. A fort was erected on the western shore of Garrison Cove, Prout's Neck. Other stockades were at Spurwink and Blue Point. The Hunnewell House was known as the “outpost for the defense of Black Point.” Richard Hunnewell, and eighteen other men were killed in 1703 at Massacre Pond. This incident took place after peace negotiations had been made.
The great salt marsh known as the Scarborough Marsh, which is Maine's largest tidal marsh encompassing approximately 3,100 acres, is located within the boundaries of the Town of Scarborough."